Additional licenses may be purchased in sets of 10, separately. Please reach out to our onboarding specialists for customized quotes at email@example.com
Welcome Newcomers: Topic-Based Books to Help New Immigrants Thrive
ISBN: 9781680214185 | Digital ISBN: 9781645986973 | Grades: Teen and YA | Reading Level: 1.6 to 2.5 | Lexile: HL150L to HL290L
The Welcome Newcomers library is a unique instructional solution that introduces life in the United States to immigrant teens. As these students learn English and adapt to living in a new country, they must learn to fit in socially and academically. Developed around 14 topics that are critical to success in American schools and communities, Welcome Newcomers gives recent immigrants relevant information supported by full-color photographs of diverse teens in real-world settings. The program includes nonfiction and fiction books, survival vocabulary cards, lesson plans, reproducible activities, and assessments. Each topic is covered by a pair of books, one nonfiction and one fiction. The 64-page nonfiction and 48-page fiction books feature easy-to-read text and engaging photographs. Welcome Newcomers places special emphasis on building vocabulary, because research indicates the importance of vocabulary acquisition for students learning English. Survival words related to each topic are highlighted in the books, with definitions provided in text boxes on the page for easy reference. These same words are featured on the full-color vocabulary cards included in the box. Featuring diverse characters in contemporary settings, the books resonate with newcomers in secondary and adult programs.
KEY PRODUCT FEATURES:
- Accessible text with low readability and photographs on every page for comprehension support
- Progress monitoring in the form of summative assessments for every topic and a program checklist
- Mature, engaging content focused on topics critical to newcomers
- Nonfiction and fiction
- Extensive teaching support for every book
- Focus on vocabulary acquisition
DESIGNED SPECIFICALLY FOR:
- Newcomers in Grades 9–12 and Adult Programs
- English Language Learners
- High School Students and Adults Who Would Benefit from Life Skills Content
PRINT LIBRARY BOX SET INCLUDES:
84 Topic-Based Books (3 Each of 28 Titles)
- 14 Nonfiction Books Paired with 14 Fiction Books
Survival Vocabulary Cards
- 140 Full-Color Vocabulary Cards
- 10 Survival Words per Topic
Comprehensive Teacher's Guide
- Lesson Plans
- Vocabulary Instruction
- Guided Reading Questions
- Reproducible Student Activities
*ONLINE DIGITAL PLATFORM:
With the absence of in-person assisted learning, we have developed a simple platform that will enable readers to be both independent and assisted. Our technology supports readers by highlighting the text and reading it aloud at an appropriate pace that is perfect for struggling readers.
*Online Digital Platform is sold separately from print materials, or can be purchase as a combo set above.
- Web browser access offering ease-of-use for any device with internet access
- Simple design with uncomplicated screens so as not to distract the reader with unnecessary buttons and features. The goal is to get kids reading!
- Text-to-speech with word highlighting for enhanced readability. Great for ANY struggling reader.
Product Notes: Teacher's Guide not sold separately. Once an order is placed for the Online Digital Platform materials a digital onboarding specialists will be in contact with you shortly.
Key Words/ Themes: American Culture, Citizenship, Community Services, Finding and Keeping a Job, Food and Meals, Grooming, Health Resources, Managing Money, Money Basics, A New Home, School Basics, School Expectations, Transportation, Weather and Natural Disasters, Full Color, Set, Fiction, Nonfiction, Teen, Young Adult, Hi-Lo, Hi-Lo Books, Hi-Lo Solutions, High-Low Books, Hi-Low Books, ELL, EL, ESL, Struggling Learner, Struggling Reader, Special Education, SPED, Newcomers, Reading, Learning, Education, Educational, Educational Books
- Welcome Newcomers